Healthy Eating Tip & Recipe of the Month
Diabetes and Snacking
Snacking can help to curb you hunger and add a nutritious energy boost to your day. They can also help to control your blood sugars. Be sure to keep your snacks between 15 and 30 grams of total carbohydrate.
Here are some ideas (about 15-30 grams of carbohydrate):
· 5 whole wheat crackers and a piece of string cheese
· 6 oz light yogurt with ¾ cup of berries
· 1 medium banana and 1 Tbsp peanut butter
· ¼ C cottage cheese with ½ C canned or fresh fruit
· 3 cups light popcorn
· ½ turkey sandwich or PB & J sandwich
Snack ideas with 5 grams of carb of less:
· 1 cup fresh vegetable slices with 1 Tbsp Ranch dressing
· 1 sugar free popsicle
· ½ C sugar free jello
· 1 hard-boiled egg
· 1 piece of string cheese
Plan ahead and pack healthy snacks!
Know your portion sizes—be sure to measure!
Don’t forget to count the carbohydrates in your snacks into your overall meal plan!
Avoid mindless snacking while sitting in front of the T.V., reading, or driving.
Stock up on healthy options and avoid shopping when hungry.
Source: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics- www.eatright.org
E-mail Mallory Mount at email@example.com with any questions. Thanks and have a healthy day!!
Lemony Vegetable Pasta Salad (Crowd Size)
- Prep Time 35 min
- Total Time 2 hr 35 min
- Servings 24
2 cups fat-free mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 cup Yoplait® Fat Free plain yogurt (from 2-lb container)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh or 1 tablespoon dried tarragon leaves
1 teaspoon salt
2 packages (16 oz each) medium pasta shells
3 lb asparagus, blanched and cut into 4-inch pieces
2 lb snap pea pods, blanched
16 medium green onions, sliced (1 cup)
2 medium yellow bell peppers, coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- In large bowl, mix all Lemon Mayonnaise ingredients until well blended; set aside.
- Cook and drain pasta as directed on package. Rinse with cold water; drain.
- In large bowl, mix pasta and remaining Pasta Salad ingredients. Stir in Lemon Mayonnaise until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or until chilled.
Total Fat: 1.5g
Saturated Fat: ½ g
Sodium: 420 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 41g
Recipe from livebetteramerica.com.