Saturday, May 18, 2013
King's Daughters Health System (KDHS) and Marshall Orthopaedics, Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine, have formed an historic clinical partnership that brings the two groups together to create a powerhouse orthopaedics and sports medicine team that spans Kentucky, West Virginia and Ohio.
The physicians of Marshall Orthopaedics will see patients and perform procedures at KDMC's main campus in Ashland, Kentucky. Marshall Orthopaedics surgeons Charles Giangarra, M.D., and John Jasko, M.D., will begin seeing patients in Ashland in May. KDMC orthopaedic & spine surgeon James Rice, M.D., will continue to see patients in Ashland and practice in Huntington with the Marshall Orthopaedics team as well.
"This is a great day for two excellent orthopaedics programs," said KDMC President/CEO Fred Jackson. "Marshall Orthopaedics professor and chairman, Ali Oliashirazi, M.D., had the vision to make this happen. We are excited to bring these two world-class orthopaedics teams together."
Dr. Oliashirazi will serve as the medical director of the combined groups, overseeing the direction of the program and its 20-plus physicians. "There are few endeavors that significantly impact a community," he said. "This collaboration between Marshall Orthopaedics and KDMC will significantly impact not one, but numerous communities for generations to come.”
The agreement also includes expansion at King's Daughters Health System's second hospital, KDMC Ohio, in Portsmouth. Orthopaedic surgeon Gerry Trinidad, M.D., practices at KDMC Ohio and is part of the partnership as well. Dr. Trinidad was recently named a clinical assistant professor at Marshall.
King's Daughters Medical Specialties - Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine
Medical Plaza B
617 23rd St., Suite 350
Ashland, KY 41101
1600 Medical Center Drive
Huntington, WV 25701
Marshall Orthopaedics’ physicians who will practice at KDMC include:
Felix Cheung, M.D., specializing in orthopaedic oncology and total joint replacement
Charles Giangarra, M.D., specializing in sports medicine
John Jasko, M.D., specializing in sports medicine
Steven Novotny, M.D., specializing in hands and upper extremities
Other specialists with Marshall Orthopaedics include:
- Ali Oliashirazi, M.D., Chairman of Marshall Orthopaedics and medical director of the Marshall-KDHS partnership
- James Day, M.D., specializing in orthopaedic traumatology
- Tigran Garabekyan, M.D., specializing in general orthopaedics
- Greg Hendricks, M.D., specializing in primary care sports medicine
- William Wallace, M.D., specializing in orthopaedic perioperative management
- Heidi Wehrheim, M.D., specializing in orthopaedic perioperative management
- Alan Koester, M.D., specializing in hands and upper extremities
- Franklin D. Shuler, M.D., Ph.D., specializing in orthopaedic traumatology
- Zach Tankersley, DPM, specializing in reconstructive foot and ankle surgery